Wednesday, March 2, 2016

About this Laughin' Mommy


Becoming a Mother was the most wonderful and simultaneously frustrating experience in my life


As a young Mom, with no prior experience, I was bewildered and at times really hard on myself.  I often found myself in situations where I wondered, “what am I doing wrong?” “Why cant I get it together?”

I felt embarrassed to admit that I had no clue what I was doing and as a result, something as simple as packing a diaper bag felt like climbing a mountain.  I remember when my son came home from the hospital and I was going to take him out to his first doctor appointment, my diaper bag had one item in it.  Orajel.  
Because what the heck else did a 3 day old need?


I saw other Moms pushing strollers around Manhattan and they appeared rested, dressed and seemingly to have this Mom role down pat.  Why was I the frizzy haired, dark circled, crazy lady that felt like she could not remember what she did five minutes ago?
Ill tell you, my doubt in myself really took a toll after a while.  I had a moment where I said to myself, “I can do this.  You will change that next diaper and you will figure out what each newborn cry means.”


But I continued to feel like I was failing.


Finally, I wrapped my head around things.  Google, was a blessing.  How parents were parents before the internet will forever remain a mystery.  But I decided I had a duty to share my stories, and in some cases the stories of my friends.  If I could help one soon to be or brand new Mom out there, then I feel, in some small way, I have been a success.


I hope you find these experiences as funny as I do.  I also hope these tales from the Mother Hood help you to go easy on yourself and find some humor, even in the darkest of days.

In some tales, names have been changed to protect the Baby Mamas…

No comments:

Post a Comment