Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Dentist

Yesterday I had a terrible realization.

I asked my dentist how long it had been since my last visit; the cleaning seemed to be a bit more intense than usual.

He told me it had been one year.
This simple, (and kind of gross) fact made me realize something startling.

Putting the needs of everyone ahead of me has begun to take a toll.

Once in a while, when I see that I am neglecting myself, I get pissy.

I think things like:

What the hell time do I have to wake up to get everything accomplished in a day?
Why do I feel like I am running in circles?

And the worst:

Why do I feel like my life changed SO much more than my husband?

I have had many mixed messages on the role of women.  I have heard man opinions.
I am regularly asked such things as:

What do you do when your son is at school?
Why are you a stay at home mom if you only have one child?

As though I should hand my four year old a metro card and say, "have a great day! see you tonight!"

And yet, I have not been able to get the time for a teeth cleaning in one year.

It makes me think.

The only advice I can give on this matter, is do what is good for you and screw the naysayers.

That being said, to those who ask what stay at home Moms do all day:
Ask yourselves why you have time to think about what other people are doing, and then fill that time with something more productive.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment