Thursday, June 9, 2016

Do I home school my son because the hours of drop off and pick up suck?

I know that the hours of the school day are not a compelling reason to home school.

I also know that my living in the northeast in a city that has schizophrenic wear on a good day is not a reason to stay in my apartment.

But the ideas still cross my mind.

Schools are a HUGE topic amongst residents of NYC who choose to raise our children in a city that has been called "an amusement park for adults," although I am not amused by it most of the time.

NYC has so much to choose from and so many people want to take a bite out of this "Big Apple" that at times I feel I'm best off sitting under the blanket with a bottle of wine and a box of chocolate, but I know that won't help, so I persevere.

First off, I lived through figuring out where to send my son to school.

Twice.

The first time I joined in on the fun activity of school applications was for pre-school. It felt like a balancing act of insanity wrapped up in a big bow of crazy. My son was in the 18 months old range; that age can be really unpredictable (duh.).

My role as Mom in the family interview process was that of a spiritual leader of sorts. I sent all sorts of hopes, wishes and prayers to the universe that my son would not poop in his pants. I also wished and hoped that my husband would not say anything stupid.
We went to our scheduled appointments and play dates and found a school that we loved. My son spent the following three years participating in the 2's, 3's and pre-k program.

Once the Pre-K year began I found myself immersed in elementary school tours, both public and private. Our current private Pre-K was a school that went on through high school, so our current school was a serious contender. We were happy, our son was thriving, so why rock the boat?

We "applied out" to a few all boys schools, to my Husbands discontent. His worry was our son would not have "game" and needed to have lady time in and outside of school.
*note my reference above to my worry about my Husband saying something stupid.

Our current private school became our co-Ed school option, should we choose single sex, we had some applications out and our public school, which is very well respected in performance remained on our radar.

Many sleepless nights later and much to the shock of many, we are attending our zoned public school in the Fall.

I can not tell you the number of personal choices that this decision entailed, but I can tell you that for us, we make our choice and lived to tell the tale.

The most I can advise is to stay calm. I have not met one person who did not have any place to send her child to school.

You can do this. I promise you can. If I could get through all the warm fuzzy crazy, you can too! Good luck and happy hunting.


No comments:

Post a Comment