Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Our first embarassment

I embarrassed my son for the first time yesterday.

I'm not proud of it.

But, when I think of what a loose canon I am of ridiculous behavior, I have to give him kudos for being able to go this long without being embarrassed by me.  I mean, this is a child who sits in the back seat while I rap to the milkshake song and he never said boo about that.

The guy must have a thick skin.

We were at the playground and one of his friends was eating a rice Krispy treat. Naturally since I have "7-11" tattooed somewhere on my forehead that only I can not see, my son came over and looked in my purse for one.  I did have mini muffins and he was content with that offer.

Here's where things went south.

Because he was touching all the grossness on the playground, and didn't wipe his hands all that well with the wipe I gave him, I did something I have done a zillion times.

I opened the bag and attempted to put a mini muffin in his mouth so that he wouldn't touch the muffin:

"Don't feed me!"

This was said in a whisper through clenched teeth and was followed with:

"Don't feed me! I will feed myself over there with my friends!"

My response, "oh, ok I was just trying to help."

His response, "don't."

Yikes.

So I guess we are approaching that point where I'm a drag and he's awesome and knows everything. Whatever.

Kids don't understand, nor would want to think that their parents used to be fun.  Before I was saying things like, "did you poop?" Or "why is this sticky?" I actually was a fun, dare I say, carefree person.

But the winds of change are blowing and now I'm tasked with raising an adorable, although recently sassy little person, who on occasion I'll embarrass and drive nuts.  I'm not going to start twerking on the playground or anything, but I can see how chasing him with spray sunscreen and making him wear hats that look like that of a bee keeper would get on his nerves.

We are going to keep on trucking and get through this journey ok and hopefully without too much time spent in therapy.




No comments:

Post a Comment